Nothing better to start off the new year than with a little controversy. Here's my take on the 'evolution' of our cricketers, but is it justified?
For purposes of this we will look at the careers of few Marlboro footballers, which I have had the priviledge of playing with. Now few cut it out playing in different positions, the majority haven't a clue!
1. Ashraf Rawat : Archie used to be a winger, then resorted to goalkeeping where he did really well .Still the best Number one!
2. Imraan 'zonee' Mayet : A midfielder throughout his career, a pleasurable guy and really skillful. He could change a game in an instant!
3. Hussein Loonat: Lanky number 5 who forayed forward just for headers or if a goal down. Late in his career felt the urge to be a midfielder, but will
always be remembered as last man.
4. Dawood Seedat and
5. Ebrahim Essop : The hard men of a really successful team , best 4 and 5 combination I played with. Gave the team the confidence of attacking constantly knowing the back door is shut.
6. Ziyaad Ismail : Watching Berbatov play I somehow see their similar roles in holding onto possession, strong on the ball and having great vision. Sibling rivalry aside, he is the best player I ever played with!
7. Mohamed Fulat:A really skillful midfielder with immense talent. Had really bad luck with too many niggling injuries, could take control of a game.
Now picture a side with Eboo in goals, Zyaato and Archie defending with Dees striking! A recipe for disaster? Yet with such good players?
Back to my point.
We have forgotten what our roles are in the team, and suddenly had the urge to be "better batsmen"
Zain used to open the bowling not so long ago. Zaheer, Fulat, Eboo, Naushad good bowlers. Yet our captain can't turn to them with confidence when he needs to.
The club has allowed us to do what we want to , I felt the urge to keep wicket and there was no objection to it. Similarly it should be within us to better our game in departments where we lacking, and through this I am certain that we will enjoy this game we love much much more. Remember its only practice and hard work that will help, because I can safely say...THE TALENT AINT LACKING!!
Ps: All names mentioned are fictitious,similarities to any persons are purely coincidental! And don't forget training!